Metro for Graduate Students
- METRO Q cards are available for sale in the Cashier’s Office (first floor Allen Center). The card value is $500. The cost to graduate students is $55.00.
Only 1 card may be purchased per student per academic year. Visiting students and post-docs are not eligible for university subsidized Metro Q Cards.
- Students must present a Rice student ID to the cashier. Payment may be made in person or the charge may be added to the student’s bill.
- A graduate student may buy only one Rice-subsidized METRO card per year. Rice-Subsidized METRO cards are inactivated immediately after graduation with unused funds applied back to the program.
- A graduate student may add value to the fare card from his or her own funds at anytime. The Cashier’s Office will sell additional fare amounts. For each $10 spent, students will receive $20 in Q card value.
- When purchasing your Metro Q Card you must accept the following terms and conditions governing my acceptance and use of the METRO card.The METRO Q Card is for my personal use only and may not be sold, exchanged, loaned, given or otherwise willfully transferred to any other individual or entity.I understand and agree that any violation of the these restrictions will result in the loss of my ability to receive another METRO Q Card from Rice University for the remainder of my matriculation and may be considered a violation of the Code of Student Conduct.1. Any lost or stolen METRO Q Card will be canceled and must be reported to the Cashier’s Office either in person or via email@example.com as soon as possible. After November 1, 2010 the fees for replacement cards will be charged to your account in the following amounts:
- 1st Replacement $25
- 2nd Replacement $50
- 3rd Replacement $100
- Q Cards will not be reissued a 4th time.
- 2. Students are expected to use one card for the entire time they are Rice students. Do NOT discard your METRO Q Card at the end of the academic year.3. Q Cards by themselves do not guarantee access to METRORail. Students must tap their cards prior to each ride. Q Cards can’t be double tapped to attempt to pay for another individual. Metro Police can scan your METRO Q Card to determine whether or not it was tapped.
- The $500-value Q card will will generate 5 free trips for every 50 trips used (e.g., another 25 round trips)
- If you were a graduate student during a prior year and already have a METRO Q card with a remaining balance, the balance is available until utilized. However, you are encouraged to exhaust that balance before purchasing your new fare card.
- Using your METRO Q-Card – Tap your Q Card on the Q Box located on all buses and on ticket vending machines (TVM) on METRORail platforms. The correct fare will be deducted from your Q Card for local, express, METRORail, or Park and Ride Services. When you tap your Q Card on the Q Box, a green light will appear with your remaining balance. If you accidentally tap your card a second time on the Q Box, a red light will appear, however, you will not be charged a second time.
- Lost or stolen Q-Cards – Once you realize you have lost your Q Card or it has been stolen, contact the Cashier’s Office immediately either in person in the Allen Center or via firstname.lastname@example.org). You will be contacted when your replacement can be picked up at the Cashier’s Office.
- The Passport to Houston Office is located in the Student Center Administration Office on the 2nd Fl. of the Rice Memorial Center (take the stairs by the Grand Hall).
- Graduate students at the Jones School are not eligible for this program. Student fees collected by the Jones School are being used to fund other Jones School student activities.